Strawberry season is just around the corner! That’s the best time to pop those bright red and juicy fruits into your favorite Blasts or simply enjoy them as they are. Not only do strawberries taste the sweetest during their peak season, they’re also packed with more nutrients!
There are plenty of reasons to add strawberries in your lunch bags and picnic baskets. They have an impressive list of health benefits, which diabetics and non-diabetics, alike, can take advantage of without the worry of unstable blood sugars.
Health Benefits of Strawberries
- Strawberries are low glycemic fruits. People with diabetes can enjoy the sweetness of strawberries without worrying about their blood sugar levels. These fruits have a score of 40 on the glycemic index, where anything below 55 is considered ideal for managing blood sugars. Diabetes has been shown to increase the risk of other diseases but strawberries can help in those areas too!
- They help ward off cardiovascular diseases. Strawberries are great for your heart. Research shows that strawberries contain a natural chemical that stimulates the production of protein NRF2. This production helps increase antioxidant defenses in the body and the presence of the NRF2 protein protects against oxidation and increases the metabolism of fatty acids and other lipids, lowering the risk of developing heart disease.
- Strawberries may help slow the onset of Alzheimer’s. They contain a flavonoid called fisetin, which has been shown to decrease symptoms of Alzheimer’s and delay memory loss.
- Flavonol fisetin in strawberries can also help lower the risk of prostate cancer. Strawberries are also rich in antioxidants, so they’re great for helping you get rid of free radicals that damage the cells in your body.
- Strawberries give your immune system a boost. In addition to being an excellent source of vitamin C, strawberries are packed with dietary fibers to boost immune functions.
A cup of strawberries does wonders for your body without negatively impacting your blood sugar levels. It’s a heart-healthy, cancer-fighting machine that goes great in refreshing Blasts or in healthy, light desserts.
Take advantage of the strawberry season and enjoy these fruits while they’re still bursting with sweetness and nutrients!