I have learned a lot over the years, building my health and the health of my clients. In doing so, I have compiled a list of some of the most important changes we can make to improve our health. This list is really a guide for optimal health. The more of these you incorporate into your life, the healthier you will be.
These suggestions are just that, suggestions based on years of observation, research and incorporating them into my life. Your opinions may differ and I welcome that!
1. Remove all unnatural sources of sugar from your life.
This includes refined sugars and artificial sweeteners. Refined sugars include: table sugar, brown sugar, high fructose corn syrup, confectioners sugar, maple syrup, turbinado sugar, raw sugar, agave nectar, and others. Sugar in excessive amounts can be toxic and may act as a poison that causes inflammation to your arteries, leading to heart disease, atherosclerosis and diabetes. It also causes disruption to your immune system, neurological systems and hormonal system. Sugars in natural live foods, such as strawberries or sweet potato do not have this negative effect.
2. Remove all refined and processed foods from your life, including luncheon meats, processed meats, prepared foods like mac-n-cheese, hamburger helper, crackers, cookies, chips, candies, pastries, white breads, white rice, TV dinners, pre-packaged meals, etc.
3. Replace frying with sautéing, baking, grilling or broiling. Use safflower oil, olive oil, or coconut oil.
4. Replace flour-based foods with whole grain choices. The first ingredient on the ingredient label should say ‘whole grain.’
5. Eat foods as close to nature and in their raw state as possible (fresh or frozen). If you must eat canned vegetables, please rinse well.
These suggestions are definitely the first step to maximum health. The sooner you can incorporate them all in your daily routine, the sooner you’ll be on your way to the best health possible!