Nut butters are one of those ingredients that kick smoothies up a notch, making them taste even more delicious! They add depth, creaminess, and nuttiness, as well as an extra boost of nutrients to any smoothie or smoothie bowl.
The great news is that there are so many nut butters available on the market. The bad news is that many of them contain hidden oils and added sugars. Whatever nut butter you desire, make sure to read the label before purchasing it. The nut butter should contain nuts, and that’s it!
While nut butters can give your smoothies an upgrade, moderation is key. You don’t want to overdo it and add too much, if you do your smoothie becomes too high in calories and fat. For smoothie recipes, add one teaspoon to one and a half tablespoons of nut butter to keep yourself on track with your health goals.
5 Nut and Seed Butters to Add to Your Smoothie
- Almond Butter - Almonds are a good source of fiber, an excellent source of vitamin E, and the tree nut with the highest amount of protein. It provides a smoothie with a great flavor and creamy texture, along with a satiety boost. The flavor of almonds is universal and works really well in most smoothie recipes. Incorporating nutrient-dense foods like almonds and almond butter into your diet can help ward off hunger and satisfy your cravings.
- Peanut Butter - Peanuts have been pretty underrated when it comes to healthy nut butters, but they are a great addition to any smoothie. Peanut butter will add fiber, protein, and healthy fats to your smoothies. As long as you aren’t allergic, you can enjoy the smooth texture and nutty flavor peanut butter gives to smoothies.
- Cashew Butter - Cashews are the third most popular tree nut in the United States, and they contain a good amount of protein, magnesium, and iron. They have a delicate and neutral flavor and will help make your smoothie’s texture velvety and silky smooth.
- Sunflower Seed Butter - Sunflower seeds are perfect for those who have peanut or tree nut allergies. Sunflower seed butter is creamy and has a stronger flavor profile. If you already know that you like the taste of sunflower seeds, then you will really enjoy this in your smoothies. Sunflower seeds are packed with vitamin E and folate! Nutritious and delicious!
- Tahini - You might be thinking about hummus, but tahini is actually very versatile! Made from sesame seeds, this paste will add a unique and pleasant flavor to your smoothies. Sesame seeds contain cholesterol-lowering phytosterols and a healthful dose of calcium and iron. Tahini adds a roasted, nutty flavor and also helps make a smoothie thick and creamy. It has a similar texture to peanut butter.
Any of those nut butters would make excellent additions to your next smoothie. Don’t know where to start? These four deliciously creamy and nutty smoothies are here to help!
- Banana Almond Spice Smoothie Creamy, sweet, and oh so delicious, this smoothie is guaranteed to satisfy any sweet tooth!
- Banana Cashew Chocolate Chip Bananas and cashew butter are a match made in heaven. So good and nutritious!
- Blueberry Slam Dunk Kick off your morning with this protein-packed smoothie or enjoy it after a workout.
- Peanut Butter for Breakfast The name says it all. Creamy, satisfying, and makes for a perfect breakfast smoothie!
If you don’t have a nut allergy and you haven’t tried nut butters in your smoothie, what are you waiting for? You’re one tablespoon of nut butter away from your new favorite smoothie!