What do you think of when you hear the word sexy? Justin Timberlake circa 2006? Red lingerie? Robin Thicke's Blurred Lines?
To me, the epitome of sexy is a guy with nice abs, a bubble bath with candles and wine and some chocolate-covered strawberries. What very few people know (call it a Blurred Line, if you will...) is that there's a strong connection between what happens in the kitchen and what happens in another room: the bedroom! The foods you Blast could actually make for a bigger blast in the bedroom!
These aphrodisiacs, named after the Greek goddess Aphrodite, include foods that increase sexual desire by reducing stress, increasing blood flow and affecting the nervous system in a sexually beneficial capacity. And they're all totally Blastable!
- Avocado – It's no coincidence that avocados look like testicles - this silky smooth fruit has been considered an aphrodisiac since the times of ancient Aztecs.
- Grapes – Ever since Marc Antony first fed Cleopatra grapes, it’s been every girl’s fantasy.
- Asparagus – A true master in the “law of similarities,” these phallic green veggies are known to increase blood flow.
- Chocolate and Coffee – Both foods are considered aphrodisiacs because they produce positive mood states, release endorphins, provide energy (theobromine and caffeine) and increase physical endurance. Chocolate contains phenylethylamine (PEA), a chemical that induces feelings of love.
- Figs - The ancient Greeks valued figs more precious than gold and many cultures associate figs with fertility due to their resemblance of the female sex organs.
- Strawberries – It’s no wonder strawberries are dropped in champagne during romantic movie scenes – they're sexy and will get your tastebuds in the right mood.
- Ginger – Spices things up and turns on the heat, all while increasing circulation.
- Garlic – Garlic breath is the new mood lighting! It contains allicin, a compound that is believed to increase blood flow to sexual organs. Apparently this won’t work overnight, so be prepared to chomp on some raw garlic for about a month for the best results.
- Banana – Bananas aren't just for safe sex condom demonstrations any more! These vitamin B-filled fruits help increase the body’s overall energy and also contain enzymes that may help with erectile dysfunction.
- Chili peppers – Increase heat, blood flow and endorphins that lead to feelings of euphoria, while also aiding in the release of sex hormones and reducing stress.
- Watermelon – Contains the amino acid citrulline known to increase levels of arginine and nitric oxide in the body, which relax the arterial walls and open up the blood vessels, allowing for better blood flow to the body’s extremities.
- Pine Nuts and Pumpkin Seeds – Rich in zinc, an essential mineral in the production of testosterone. Ladies, we have testosterone, too and a healthy dose may just be the perk you need.
- Celery – A good source of essential nutrients necessary for a libido boost. The chemical androstenone is also believed to be the first identified mammalian pheromone and serves as a sexual attractant when ingested.
- Almonds – Almonds have many symbolic references of fertility, including biblical references. In Rome, newlyweds were showered with almonds as a fertility charm. Bags of sugared almonds are given to guests at weddings in America. This represents children, happiness, romance, good health and fortune.
- Raw honey – In addition to a term used as endearment to your loved one, this natural sweetener contains boron, an essential element used in estrogen production. We won’t even mention what else you can do with honey!
- Pomegranates – The image of tiny egg-filled ovaries is not just in your imagination. Nature is telling us that these tiny seeds are great for fertility and sexual desire.
- Maca (root) – Peru’s natural “Viagra,” this root grown at extremely high altitudes will send your strength, stamina, energy, fertility and libido soaring even higher!
- Cinnamon – A warming spice to help heat up your body and your sexual energy.
A bonus non-blastable ingredient (unless making an omelet):
- Eggs – Any type of egg is thought to help with female fertility, according to Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM).
Feeling inspired? Light a candle and break out your NutriBullet!