As a part of our daily American lifestyle, we're exposed to situations, events, and chemicals in our lives that cause chronic inflammation in our bodies. This type of inflammation can be very harmful and it's important that we eliminate or reduce it for our better health.
Symptoms of inflammation include:
- Premature aging, such as wrinkles, arthritis and other degenerative conditions
- Susceptibility to infections
- Food allergies and sensitivities
- Acid reflux (GERD)
- Skin conditions, like psoriasis and acne
- Chronic pain
- High blood pressure
- Heart disease
- Fungal infections like Candida
- Urinary tract infections
I can't emphasize enough how important it is to manage the stress in your life! I know people who live a very healthy lifestyle, they eat very healthy, exercise, reduce their exposure to toxins and they still get cancer, chronic infections or any of the other adverse health conditions caused by stress. The common thread is the amount of stress they are carrying in their daily lives. This must be managed if you wish to reduce your risk for illness and serious health conditions.
Here are some activities that may help you reduce stress:
- Gentle massage
- Qi Gong
- Tai Chi
- Aqua exercise
- Infra-red sauna
- Hot tub
- Epsom salt soak
- Deep breathing
Reduce or eliminate the Standard American Diet (SAD)
The standard American diet and lifestyle leads the way as the primary instigator of chronic inflammation. The consumption of refined sugar, refined flours, dairy, artificial sweeteners, refined and processed foods, trans fats, saturated fats and preservatives create inflammation throughout the body. This may eventually cause cancer, high blood pressure, diabetes, asthma, allergies, reduced immune system function, high cholesterol, chronic infections, auto immune diseases, heart disease, digestive disorders and other adverse conditions.
- Eat a diet rich in organic (organic foods reduce our exposure to inflammation-causing chemicals) vegetables, beans, low-sugar fruits, low-glycemic grains, nuts and seeds. Occasionally add wild caught salmon, cod, halibut or sardines and free range organic turkey, chicken and eggs. Avoid red meat and pork or certainly restrict your intake of these meats.
- Add Omega 3 fatty acids to your diet (salmon, cod, sardines, ground flax seed, chia seeds, walnuts, broccoli, strawberries.)
- Leave junk food alone!
- Get a minimum of 7 hours of sleep per night. Adequate sleep is critical for our health.
- Exercise daily; exercise boosts the body’s ability to detoxify and at the same time improves the function of all body systems.
- Drink adequate amounts of pure water daily.
- Get some sunshine everyday.
- Laugh often and enjoy your friends and family.
- Reduce the intake of caffeine and alcohol in your life
- If you smoke, quit!