This is from our contributor Wally Bishop!
There are a few things we men can do to boost low T. There are a few nutrients that are essential for building better T levels. Those are Vitamins C, B6, D3, the minerals zinc and magnesium and cholesterol. Your body makes it's own cholesterol but a little extra from the diet helps. (free-range organic eggs, free range organic turkey)
- Do not be afraid of cholesterol it is not the enemy. Sugar in our diet causes our body to use cholesterol to patch and repair blood vessels and it also lowers the HDL which removes the LDL cholesterol (plaque building cholesterol)
- Our diet should be very low in refined and processed foods and we should avoid foods in plastics containers.
- lso avoid any soy except organic fermented soy like tofu, temph and miso. Flax seeds can also raise estrogen in the body if too much is consumed.
- Our foods should only be organic. Commercially grown foods contain pesticides and fertilizers, which are known to have xenoestrogenic effects. Plastics have chemicals that can increase the estrogen in our bodies. More estrogen means less testosterone. The chemicals are called Xenoestrogen.
- Xenoestrogen is a chemical that imitates estrogen in the human body. When men are exposed to too much of this estrogen-imitating chemical, T levels drop significantly. The problem is xenoestrogen is everywhere; plastics, shampoos, gasoline, cows, and toothpaste. The problematic nature of this chemical in our modern world is one reason some endocrinologists believe that testosterone levels are lower in men today than in decades past.
- We need to eat more cruciferous vegetables. Broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage have compounds that help balance sex hormones. Broccoli has the highest levels of indoles, which is one of the compounds that helps balance the sex hormones. Raw cacao (chocolate) is the richest source of magnesium and is a great source of zinc and other health building nutrients. I have raw cacao every day! It also helps with hormones and neurotransmitter health.
- Adding avocados, nuts and seeds to the diet also helps. Olive oil as well because their monounsaturated fats improve the body's ability to make more Testosterone.
- Lifting weights and high intensity interval training is of the utmost importance at increase testosterone levels normally. Obvious get your doctors approval before starting and exercise routine. Do the high intensity interval exercise 2x per week, cardio and weight lifting 3 times per week with two days off for recovery. Exercise is one of the best ways to also lower the LDL (bad) cholesterol and increase the HDL (good) cholesterol in your body. But do not over train. It will reduce testosterone levels.
- Sleep is critically important as well. At least 7-8 hours per day on a consistent basis.
- Sunshine and Vitamin D3 is important to convert cholesterol to testosterone and other sex hormones.
- Stress reduction is equally important. Stress robs our body of testosterone building nutrients!
- The herbs stinging nettle and trebulus have been reported to raise T levels as well as spirulina and maca.
- Make sure your diet has adequate amounts of high quality protein. You can add organic free-range whey concentrate, or rice, pea and hemp protein to your blast.
- Make sure any meats and poultry are free-range, organic and any fish is wild caught. Eggs should be free range organic also.