Hello, I just found this cleanse! It looks great! Relatively new with nutribullet - just a couple of months and both my husband and I love it. In fact, my husband just came home a short while ago and has not even looked at it but when I briefly shared this cleanse with him, he smiled and said: "Good, let's get started on it!" :-) Questions: 1) What about vitamin B12 and iodine (for the thyroid)? Is it alright to add some organic kelp flakes to the blasts? 2) Is the quantity of greens included in this 5 day cleanse safe for those with potential hypothyroidism? 3) I noticed approximately 3-3/12 servings of fruit on Day 1. Is this quantity too much per day for someone with potential sugar issues? 4) What is a good substitute for tomato (although I love tomato soup) since according to Dr. Peter D'Adamo's Blood Type Diet, tomatoes are not good for B types. Also, what would be a good substitute for oranges? Unfortunately, we don't yet have any medical insurance (even though we have already applied) and cannot afford doctor visits right now. It's also hard to find functional medicine doctors who accept insurance. Looking forward to getting a "jump start." We are basically vegetarian/plant based eating at home - I only eat organic eggs and organic yogurt for the protein and Vitamin B12 - my husband will sometimes have fish or turkey outside. We do incorporate hemp and flax seeds, nuts and legumes/lentils and fresh vegetables. Thank you so very much.
Wow...let's see how I can help w/ these questions :)
First, note that I cannot give personal nutritional advice for you based on your conditions through this medium and without knowing your full health history so these answers are general suggestions that should be discussed w/ your health professional (however I understand that is not an option for you at this point)...so please do a bit more research if you are unsure.
I'm very excited to hear that your husband is on board too. It's great to a Blast buddy!!
1) Since the cleanse is only 5 days long, food sources of B12 can be avoided without any chance of deficiency and a supplement isn't necessary, however it is fine to continue them if you'd like. And if vegan, be sure to take them or B12 fortified foods again post cleanse if you decide to forgo them during the cleanse.
If iodine supplements or B12 for that matter have been prescribed to you by a Dr., then continue to take them.
2) Yes, kelp flakes are fine and actually very healthy to add to your Blasts!
3) The amount of greens should be fine, however if you'd like you can always used cooked greens to reduce the goitrogens or you can use the less "goitrogenic" greens. If you haven't read our Blasting for Thyroid Health article you may want to check it out for more details.
4) The fiber should help minimize the blood sugar spikes, however feel free to sub out one or two of the fruits with a veggie!
5) I'd suggest just making one of the other soups besides the tomato recipe.
6) Sub any of your favorite fruits for oranges - pineapple and mango are good options.
Good luck and have fun :)