While there are no special diets for lupus and it isn't addressed directly in our Natural Healing Foods book, it is often recommended that foods such as fresh fruits, veggies and super foods (all of which can easily be used in your NutriBlasts) may be able to help relieve some of the symptoms like fatigue and inflammation.
- Foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids like chia, hemp, flax, cold water fish like wild salmon, and walnuts are all good options to reduce inflammation and for heart health. Omega-3 fatty acids are important for women with lupus, who are at a 5-10-fold higher risk for heart disease than the general population.
- One food for people with lupus to avoid is alfalfa. Alfalfa tablets have been associated with reports of a lupus-like syndrome or lupus flares.
- Limit alcohol, salt, and processed foods
- You may find that nightshade vegetables which include white potatoes, tomatoes, peppers (sweet and hot), and eggplant may cause flares, however this is not shown in research, but in some particular cases of those with lupus.
- Current available studies suggest that diets high in antioxidants are beneficial.
- It is important to discuss any major change in your diet, especially changes that include use of dietary supplements, with your doctor. There may be potential interactions with prescribed medications or other aspects of your care that are important for your physician to evaluate.
- Foods high in calcium like fortified almond milk, broccoli, leafy greens, tahinin (sesame seed paste), almond butter, beans, dried figs/apricots/dates, and Vitamin D (fish and organic eggs) are great for preventing osteoporosis - which is common for those with lupus.
- Inflammation-fighting foods like turmeric, leafy greens, ginger, avocado, cherries, and pineapple and papaya are all good options too.
In addition, here is a good link with some diet and nutrition recommendations in English from the Lupus Foundation of America.http://www.lupus.org/webmodules/webarticlesnet/templates/new_learnliving.aspx?articleid=2281&zoneid=527